Search

Anton's pals told of tragedy

PUBLISHED: 21:58 08 January 2002 | UPDATED: 11:08 03 March 2010

CHILDREN of an Ipswich primary school were today having to come to terms with the death of one of its pupil's.

It follows a house fire in Marlow Road, which claimed the life of seven-year-old Anton Fox, who "was a great character.

CHILDREN of an Ipswich primary school were today having to come to terms with the death of one of its pupil's.

It follows a house fire in Marlow Road, which claimed the life of seven-year-old Anton Fox, who "was a great character."

Shelagh Cohen, head teacher at Handford Hall School, is planning a special service celebrating the life of youngster on Friday, January 18, where his classmates, pupils and staff will be able to pay tribute.

This morning a short assembly was held at the school to talk to the pupils about the loss of the loveable little boy.

Today letters were sent out to parents informing them about plans in memory of Anton, which including a collection for the Fox family to help with extra costs.

Ms Cohen had earlier told The Star: "Anton was a lovely boy who was extremely well liked in our school. "He was a great character with a lively sense of humour. He will be greatly missed by pupils and teachers."

In Spring time a tree will be planted in the school grounds to commemorate the life of the little boy.

Meanwhile, as the family are still struggling to terms with Anton's death their future house plans remain uncertain.

It is unsure at this stage whether the family will return to their former home in Marlow Road or seek accommodation elsewhere after the blaze.

A spokesman for Ipswich Borough Council, said: "We want the family to have some time coming to terms with this terrible tragedy before telling us what they want to do in the future.

"If they tell us they want a new home we will do all we can to fit round their wishes as soon as we possibly can."

The family – who are staying temporarily at Anton's grandmother's home in Ulster Avenue – had earlier thanked those who made donations and set up a fund in their support.

Anton's mother, Ester, his brothers and sisters, including Joseph, eight, Tamara, five, Brendan, four, and Star, two, all escaped injury.

The fire is thought to have started by an electric heater in the room to keep the little boy warm.

Mrs Fox earlier told how the family had made a tragic error by forgetting to replace a battery in a smoke detector.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists