Are the roads clear for evening rush hour after A14 over Orwell Bridge closed for 12 hours today?
- Credit: sarah lucy brown
The closure of the Orwell Bridge early today and through the morning rush hour caused chaos for commuters around and in Ipswich.
The road, shut because of high winds, started to reopen around 12.30pm – but the resultant traffic problems caused some people’s journeys to work to take three times as long as normal.
However with the bridge now open for several hours most of the congestion it caused by diverting people through Ipswich has gone.
And current weather conditions mean it is unlikely to be closed again today.
The A14, which suffered long queues on the eastbound carriageway west of Ipswich, is clear at the moment mean motorists should only have normal rush hour traffic to contend with.
Queues and slow moving traffic on most of the A1214/Colchester Road, Felixstowe Road and Wherstead Road have also cleared up.
However some congestion is being experienced in areas you would expect at this time of day.
There is slow moving traffic on Crown Street between the Civic Drive roundabout and Major’s Corner, while there are also some delays at the Yarmouth Road and Handford Road junction.
- 1 Masked man 'snatched' bag from woman in Ipswich alleyway
- 2 Six Suffolk curry houses named among best in England
- 3 How to get a free pint at a Suffolk pub if you have one of 23 surnames
- 4 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 5 Woman taken to hospital after crash involving pedestrian
- 6 Man, 26, who distributed indecent images of children avoids prison
- 7 Suspected right-wing terrorist arrested in Ipswich by Met Police
- 8 Rail strike announced over Latitude Festival weekend
- 9 New restaurant could be coming to the Waterfront, but theatre plans dropped
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after stabbing is remanded in custody
Star Lane and Grimwade Street are also congested while there are queues forming on St Helen’s Street.
The A1071 is also busy from the B1113, over the A14 and up to the A1214 junction near One college.