Armed police involved in Ipswich shooting inquiry
- Credit: Archant
Armed police were on the streets of Ipswich yesterday as the investigation into the suspected drug-linked shooting of a teenager continued.
The 18-year-old sustained a gunshot wound to his shoulder at a flat in Siloam Place, near Duke Street.
Officers, some with firearms, were said to be providing a deterrent against further incidents, including in the area of Wherstead Road and Hawes Street.
Police were also giving reassurance to the public after Tuesday’s shooting following which four people were arrested.
Karen Willie, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “In response to the incident in Ipswich earlier this week in which a firearm was discharged, officers are carrying out high visibility patrols to deter further incidents and provide public reassurance across the town, whilst continuing with inquiries in the area.
You may also want to watch:
“In addition, a police pod has been installed at Siloam Place to respond to community concerns and provide a facility for members of the public to speak to officers.”
A 27-year-old from Barnet, a 26-year-old from London, a 22-year-old from London and a 20-year-old from Ipswich are currently on police bail pending further enquiries.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 7 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 8 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 9 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 10 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
There were arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and possession of controlled drugs with intent to supply around three hours after the shooting.
They must return to Martlesham police investigation centre on February 21.
The 18-year-old gunshot victim is believed to be from the London area.
Police were alerted just after 12.20am on Tuesday, to reports of a loud noise.
However, when emergency services arrived no one was at the property, although blood was found inside.
The teenager arrived at Ipswich Hospital just before 1am with a gunshot wound to his shoulder.
The four suspects were arrested just before 3am.
Anyone with information should call Suffolk Constabulary on 101, quoting CAD number 17 of November 22.