Arrest in 20-year old murder enquiry
POLICE have today arrested a Woodbridge man on suspicion of a murder which happened more than 20 years ago.The alleged murder took place on the South American island of Guyana in 1982.
POLICE have today arrested a Woodbridge man on suspicion of a murder which happened more than 20 years ago.
The alleged murder took place on the South American island of Guyana in 1982.
Brian Spencer, who was believed to be a Guyanese national, died from injuries sustained after being shot.
Police are treating Mr Spencer's death as murder and a 41-year-old man, who cannot be named at present, was arrested at his home in Woodbridge this morning.
You may also want to watch:
He has been taken to a police station in Suffolk for questioning. Police declined to comment on which one.
The man can be held at this station for up to 24 hours. If police need more time, a Superintendent can authorise he be detained for a further 12 hours. After this 36 hour period police would need to seek the authorisation of magistrates to keep him in custody.
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 4 Ipswich landlord fined £4K for leaving mountain of rubbish outside property
- 5 Police investigate illegal Kesgrave bike jumps
- 6 Felixstowe beach hut sells for record price of £65k within hours
- 7 Man, 71, downloaded child porn after accident affected his sex life
- 8 Police deal with spate of incidents in Ipswich
- 9 Dog to be put down after biting three people in Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich woman drove at 78mph during police chase around town
Initial enquiries into Mr Spencer's death were carried out by the Guyanese authorities.
But Suffolk police launched their own investigation in to the murder earlier this year, in connection with other agencies including Interpol, after receiving crucial information about the incident.
No further details are available at present.