Arrest in 20-year old murder enquiry
POLICE have today arrested a Woodbridge man on suspicion of a murder which happened more than 20 years ago.The alleged murder took place on the South American island of Guyana in 1982.
POLICE have today arrested a Woodbridge man on suspicion of a murder which happened more than 20 years ago.
The alleged murder took place on the South American island of Guyana in 1982.
Brian Spencer, who was believed to be a Guyanese national, died from injuries sustained after being shot.
Police are treating Mr Spencer's death as murder and a 41-year-old man, who cannot be named at present, was arrested at his home in Woodbridge this morning.
You may also want to watch:
He has been taken to a police station in Suffolk for questioning. Police declined to comment on which one.
The man can be held at this station for up to 24 hours. If police need more time, a Superintendent can authorise he be detained for a further 12 hours. After this 36 hour period police would need to seek the authorisation of magistrates to keep him in custody.
- 1 Could Aldi closure prompt all change in Ipswich shops?
- 2 Aldi store on Ipswich estate 'set to close within weeks'
- 3 Can you spot yourself in our first class school pictures from 2002?
- 4 Gymophobics ladies' gym in Ipswich set to close down
- 5 Four arrested after drug warrant carried out at Ipswich property
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Churches prepare to open at Quay Place and the former Odeon cinema
- 8 Mum praises trampoline park after changing rules for autistic son
- 9 Patient visiting rules relaxed at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
- 10 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
Initial enquiries into Mr Spencer's death were carried out by the Guyanese authorities.
But Suffolk police launched their own investigation in to the murder earlier this year, in connection with other agencies including Interpol, after receiving crucial information about the incident.
No further details are available at present.