Arrowing experience for puppy
A PLAYFUL puppy has defied medical odds after swallowing a ten-inch wooden arrow and living to tell the tale.Amazingly, five-month-old Summer-June escaped unscathed when the potentially lethal toy avoided all her vital organs as it lodged in her stomach.
A PLAYFUL puppy has defied medical odds after swallowing a ten-inch wooden arrow and living to tell the tale.
Amazingly, five-month-old Summer-June escaped unscathed when the potentially lethal toy avoided all her vital organs as it lodged in her stomach.
The pup is thought to have been playing with the arrow when it snapped and she swallowed the bigger half. But she was left with only mild discomfort and her condition initially baffled vets and her owners.
However, an x-ray found the arrow, complete with rubber suction pad at the end, enabling experts to carry out a successful operation to remove it.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Culmstock , partner at Long Melford-based Swayne and Partners, said Summer-June had been “incredibly lucky”.
He said: “With something like this, you normally find that the sharp, broken end perforates the stomach or gullet and causes massive peritonitis which usually means the puppy will not survive.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 6 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 10 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
“The whole thing is a bit of a mystery. No one knows how it got down the gullet, as it is quite large. Summer-June was very lucky - she has made a marvellous recovery.”
Owner Leanne Heffer, from Haverhill, said: “How she managed to carry on for a few days with an arrow inside her is beyond me - it is a miracle she is still alive.”