Arson victim told 'You're next'

A TERRIFIED Ipswich man today told how he is living in fear after narrowly escaping a second arson attack in two days.Just 24-hours after the upstairs flat was torched Justin Brame, 27, arrived home at 8pm last night to find a note pinned to his door which just said: "You're next".

A TERRIFIED Ipswich man today told how he is living in fear after narrowly escaping a second arson attack in two days.

Just 24-hours after the upstairs flat was torched Justin Brame, 27, arrived home at 8pm last night to find a note pinned to his door which just said: "You're next".

By 10.50pm, a wheelie bin had been pushed against the door to his ground floor flat, in Woodbridge Road, and set alight – trapping him inside a flat that was rapidly filling with thick, black smoke.

He said: "My smoke alarm is not working, I smelt smoke, looked outside and saw flames.


You may also want to watch:


"I called the fire brigade and then it got worse and I had to break out of my front window.

"If I had been asleep last night I would have died, I wouldn't have stood a chance."

Most Read

Mr Brame had already escaped uninjured after a fire in the flat above his own on Monday night, which it is believed was started deliberately and is thought to have followed a burglary.

The first blaze was only discovered when the young woman living above Mr Brame returned to her home to find it had been torched.

Unemployed Mr Brame injured his wrist trying to escape last nght's fire, which he says is just the latest in a series of incidents at the two flats.

"When I found the note it scared me and I called the police. They said it was probably kids but I don't think this is the work of kids.

"The fire brigade were here quickly but I had got out of the window by then. "There is smoke damage and it stinks in there."

Behind the two torched flats, a small courtyard is littered with debris from the two fires. A destroyed bed from the first blaze and the remains of Mr Brame's front door and melted guttering show the ferocity of the flames.

Mr Brame said the fires are just the latest in a string of incidents to target the two flats, which are owned by Ipswich Borough Council.

"We have had break-ins and everything happen to us in the last year," he said.

"The doors were smashed three or four times last year, I can't remember when it started but we got new doors and it went quiet for a while but then it started again."

"The bins were set alight about four months ago and the other flat was broken into three months ago."

Being targeted again and again has left Mr Brame frightened to stay in the flat where he has lived since February 2003 and he has now asked the council to re-home him.

"At the moment I want to get out of here as soon as possible, I think it will happen again, I think it is someone trying to get us out of here and I don't know why.

"I don't feel safe now, not after this. I just hope they find them and catch them.

"I would ask them to just stop it, it is not nice for us, we don't know who it is but we want them to stop.

A spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire Service today confirmed both blazes are being treated as suspicious and they are investigating the cause.

A Suffolk Police spokeswoman appealed for witnesses to get in touch.

"We are treating both fires as arson and believe somebody will have information to help the enquiry," she said.

"We ask anyone who was in the area at the time or saw something suspicious to contact Ipswich CID on 01473 613500."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter