Arsonists target cricket shed
ARSONISTS are believed to be behind a fire early today which damaged a cricket club's storage hut at Felixstowe.The blaze at the building at Coronation Sports Ground was spotted around 12.
ARSONISTS are believed to be behind a fire early today which damaged a cricket club's storage hut at Felixstowe.
The blaze at the building at Coronation Sports Ground was spotted around 12.50am and firefighters from Felixstowe were on the scene within minutes.
They managed to stop the flames spreading to most of the hut, though a part of the back wall was damaged and it was left badly smoke-logged.
It is the latest in a string of attacks on the building at the ground in Mill Lane over the years.
Felixstowe Corinthians Cricket Club fixture secretary Graham Webb said: “We are always having problems and there is not much we can do about it because of the situation up there.
“As soon as we repair it, it gets damaged again. It is a real shame.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 5 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 6 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 9 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 10 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
“We will be taking a look at the latest damage today and seeing what needs to be done.”
The club use the rugby club's buildings nearby as changing rooms, but the shed is used on match days to make drinks and for people to sit and watch. It is used for storage of benches and other bits and pieces.
Mr Webb said: “We don't keep any equipment of any value in there because it is just not worth taking the risk.”
Residents said over the years youngsters had repeatedly vandalised the shed and scrawled graffiti on its sides.
One Mill Lane resident said: “I cannot understand why they have to do such things - what do they get out of it?
“It is terrible to think they just have to vandalise everything.”
Today the contents of rubbish bins had been spread around the field and in one place there was evidence of a late-night drinking party with cans and food wrappers on the grass.
A police spokesman said the blaze was being treated as suspicious and appealed for anyone with information about the incident or who saw people tampering with the shed to contact Felixstowe police on 01473 613500.
What do you think of the vandals who caused the damage? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail EveningStarLetters@eveningstar.co.uk