Arsonists target seafront
ARSONISTS were being hunted today after a beach hut was torched on Felixstowe seafront.Firefighters managed to stop the blaze spreading to wooden huts alongside – but had to act quickly as the burning chalet contained a gas cylinder.
ARSONISTS were being hunted today after a beach hut was torched on Felixstowe seafront.
Firefighters managed to stop the blaze spreading to wooden huts alongside – but had to act quickly as the burning chalet contained a gas cylinder.
Hut owners have been repeatedly warned not to leave gas bottles, fuel for cooking on stoves, in their huts in case they are targeted by hooligans as the canisters could explode.
The yellow painted hut in Sea Road was set alight at about 10.40pm last night. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used water fog hoses to damp the flames and stop the fire spreading.
You may also want to watch:
Today the hut was still standing but a charred shell with its contents wrecked.
Felixstowe police confirmed that the fire was being treated as arson and appealed for anyone who was in the area – between Charles Manning's funfair and the Herman de Stern – and may have seen anything suspicious to contact them on 01473 613500.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 Central Ipswich office tower could be converted into more than 100 flats
- 4 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 5 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 6 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 7 Power cuts in Ipswich leave businesses closed
- 8 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 9 'Large stones' thrown at lorry from A14 bridge near Ipswich
- 10 See Ipswich pub's journey from inn and Cindy's nightclub to church cafe
n Meanwhile, a Felixstowe woman told today how her smoke alarm saved her home from serious damage after her boiler caught fire.
Kim Sharplin said she had run some water to boil a kettle when she heard the alarm going off at her home in Victoria Road.
"I could hear the alarm pipping and started to search in case there was a problem. Then I heard some banging as if someone was in the roof," she said.
Minutes later smoke started pouring from the boiler in a lobby near the kitchen and she immediately dialed 999.
Two fire crews attended and managed to prevent the bungalow from suffering serious damage.