Art workshops for young people experiencing mental health difficulties launched in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
An art workshop for young people experiencing mental health difficulties is being launched in the new year.
Inside Out, an arts and mental health charity based in Ipswich, is introducing a free wellbeing programme in January called Making Your Mark, aimed at 18–25 year olds who are struggling with ill mental health.
Chair and co-founder of Inside Out, Peter Watkins said: “Mental health services can be really isolating, it can separate you from the main stream of life sometimes.
“I think this is an opportunity for them to reconnect with others and become socially involved again.”
The charity was established in 2003 and runs wellbeing programmes throughout Suffolk for anyone who is feeling overwhelmed by the stresses of life.
Mr Watkins said in recent years there had been a lot of positive research on the effectiveness and value of the arts for improving people’s mental health and sustained wellbeing.
“People find their energy and motivation for life again through participating”, Mr Watkins said.
- 1 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 2 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
- 3 Man who sexually assaulted toddler in the street could be jailed
- 4 Ipswich entrepreneur to appear on ITV show
- 5 Road closure 'chaos' for residents during fibre works
- 6 Suffolk woman describes 'brutal, shocking' unprovoked train attack
- 7 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 8 Ipswich resident charged £400 by rogue trader to pressure wash driveway
- 9 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 10 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
“Often the kind of experiences we have when we are in mental ill health is difficult to put into words but you can express those feelings and experiences through the arts.”
The programme is run in collaboration with the mental health service for 14-25 year olds in Suffolk, Youth Pathway, with funding from Suffolk Community Foundation.
The workshops will take place every Monday at the CSV Media Clubhouse in The Old Crown Court, Civic Drive from 2pm - 4.30pm, with the first session on January 5.
No previous experience of the arts is necessary and anyone who is interested must register by contacting 07947565711 or email@example.com