Assault accused tells of 'total shock'
IPSWICH man Samuel Ross vehemently denied carrying out a number of sexual assaults on a girl.Ross, 47 took to the stand at Ipswich Crown Court where he denied indecently touching the girl who cannot be named for legal reasons.
IPSWICH man Samuel Ross vehemently denied carrying out a number of sexual assaults on a girl.
Ross, 47 took to the stand at Ipswich Crown Court where he denied indecently touching the girl who cannot be named for legal reasons.
He told a jury of seven men and five women when he heard of the allegations he was "totally shocked"
"I was just so astounded being accused of it" he told the court. The accusations made him speechless.
You may also want to watch:
When cross-examined by prosecutor Samantha Leigh he said he had a good relationship with the girl and believed he was set up.
"Our relationship was pretty good" he said, "we got on well". Before telling the jury "all I can think of is I must have been set up".
- 1 Body found in the River Orwell
- 2 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 3 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 6 Felixstowe beach hut sells for record price of £65k within hours
- 7 Ipswich music producer's 'amazing' rise as global DJ's assistant
- 8 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 9 Breakdown on Orwell Bridge cleared after queues to Copdock roundabout
- 10 Cheers! Ipswich pubs and restaurants welcome first indoor guests of 2021
Shop fitter Ross of Woodbridge Road, Ipswich denied he touched her "down below" and denied touching her breasts.
He said before he heard about the allegations he wasn't aware of any difference in her behaviour towards him.
At an earlier court hearing giving evidence on a video link the girl told how on one occasion Ross subjected her to a 15 minute indecent assault.
She confided in a friend who found her in tears following a more serious assault.
Two days later she told her mum who confronted the alleged attacker.
Ross denied seven accounts of indecent assault, the jury has been instructed to return a not guilty verdict for one of the counts.
The jury is expected to retire to consider it verdicts today.