Assault accused tells of 'total shock'
IPSWICH man Samuel Ross vehemently denied carrying out a number of sexual assaults on a girl.Ross, 47 took to the stand at Ipswich Crown Court where he denied indecently touching the girl who cannot be named for legal reasons.
IPSWICH man Samuel Ross vehemently denied carrying out a number of sexual assaults on a girl.
Ross, 47 took to the stand at Ipswich Crown Court where he denied indecently touching the girl who cannot be named for legal reasons.
He told a jury of seven men and five women when he heard of the allegations he was "totally shocked"
"I was just so astounded being accused of it" he told the court. The accusations made him speechless.
You may also want to watch:
When cross-examined by prosecutor Samantha Leigh he said he had a good relationship with the girl and believed he was set up.
"Our relationship was pretty good" he said, "we got on well". Before telling the jury "all I can think of is I must have been set up".
- 1 Could Aldi closure prompt all change in Ipswich shops?
- 2 Aldi store on Ipswich estate 'set to close within weeks'
- 3 Can you spot yourself in our first class school pictures from 2002?
- 4 Gymophobics ladies' gym in Ipswich set to close down
- 5 Four arrested after drug warrant carried out at Ipswich property
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Churches prepare to open at Quay Place and the former Odeon cinema
- 8 Mum praises trampoline park after changing rules for autistic son
- 9 Patient visiting rules relaxed at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
- 10 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
Shop fitter Ross of Woodbridge Road, Ipswich denied he touched her "down below" and denied touching her breasts.
He said before he heard about the allegations he wasn't aware of any difference in her behaviour towards him.
At an earlier court hearing giving evidence on a video link the girl told how on one occasion Ross subjected her to a 15 minute indecent assault.
She confided in a friend who found her in tears following a more serious assault.
Two days later she told her mum who confronted the alleged attacker.
Ross denied seven accounts of indecent assault, the jury has been instructed to return a not guilty verdict for one of the counts.
The jury is expected to retire to consider it verdicts today.