Assault left victim unconscious

AN IPSWICH man was left unconscious in a town centre car park with a serious head injury after being repeatedly kicked and stamped on the head, a court has heard.

AN IPSWICH man was left unconscious in a town centre car park with a serious head injury after being repeatedly kicked and stamped on the head, a court has heard.

David Coleman, who was described as a quite and gentle man who “wouldn't hurt a fly” was lured to a car park near the Ipswich Town Football ground by two men and a 16-year-old youth who then carried out a “sustained brutal and vicious” attack on him, it has been claimed.

Mr Coleman, 48, who worked at the KFC fast food outlet at Cardinal park, was allegedly knocked to the ground and then suffered a “barrage” of stamps and kicks to his head followed by repeated punches, said Stephen Dyble, prosecuting.

Mr Coleman, of Pooleys Yard, Ipswich was left unconscious on the ground for an hour until the alarm was raised by a postal worker who came across him at around 4am.

“He was very seriously injured indeed. He suffered a very serious brain injury and can play no part in this trial as he is unfit to give evidence,” said Mr Dyble.

Before Ipswich Crown Court is an Ipswich youth, now aged 17, who cannot be identified because of his age, who has denied causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Coleman with intent on March 8 last year.

Most Read

The court has head that two other defendants Scott Warren, 19, of Brantham and Richard Smith, 23, of Furness Close, Ipswich have already admitted their involvement in the attack.

Mr Dyble told the court that Mr Coleman was a homosexual and said it was very likely that the jury would conclude he had been in a short relationship with Scott Warren and there had been a sexual relationship between them.

He said the relationship appeared to have been stormy and in December 2007 Mr Coleman had complained to police that Warren had stolen his wallet. No court proceedings were brought and the relationship between the men had apparently continued.

Mr Dyble said the motive for the attack on Mr Coleman was unclear. “Was it revenge for some perceived slight or grievance or was it to steal from Mr Coleman?” he asked.

He said that after the attack the teenager had gone home but Warren and Smith had returned to the car park three times and had taken Mr Coleman's wallet, bank cards, driving licence, mobile telephone and his rucksack.

Mr Dyble told the court that following his guilty plea Smith had made a statement to the police in which he claimed that he was told by Warren in the presence of the youth that they planned to attack Mr Coleman because he had sexually molested Warren.

After Mr Coleman finished a late shift at KFC he met the three defendants at Rileys snooker club and shortly before 3am the group had left and walked towards the Old Cattle Market car park.

Mr Dyble said Mr Coleman may have been lured to the car park on the pretext of a sexual favour. “It is difficult to understand why he went there unless it was something like that,” he said.

The trial continues today. (Wed).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter