Attack victim left with 'half a head'

A YOUNG man who was left with half-a-head after being attacked is facing the prospect of nobody being convicted after the Crown Prosecution Service revealed it had dropped the case.

A YOUNG man who was left with half-a-head after being attacked is facing the prospect of nobody being convicted after the Crown Prosecution Service revealed it had dropped the case.

Forklift driver Steve Gator, 26, of Harold Hill, Essex, was left brain damaged and with a disfigured half-skull after he was attacked on his way home from work earlier this year.

But the CPS decided has decided not to continue with the prosecution of two teenagers in relation to the incident, because "there was insufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction."

Steve's family have hit out at the decision.


You may also want to watch:


Mum Nina, 47, said: "Everyone is entitled to their day in court. Our boy is walking around with half-a-head.”

Steve, nicknamed 'pin head' by friends for his small build, was walking along Hilldene Avenue around 7.30pm on January 15 when it was claimed teenagers started yelling taunts about his cousin.

Most Read

When Steve confronted the teenagers he was met with a punch that sent him flying, knocking his head on the pavement and putting him in a coma for the following two weeks.

His brain quickly began swelling and doctors at Queen's Hospital removed the front half of his skull just hours after he was admitted.

Distraught mum Nina was later told he had a 15% chance of survival.

The following day two teenage boys were arrested in connection with the attack.

A Havering Police Spokesman said: "Two people were charged in connection with the case. We gave the CPS all the evidence available and after reviewing the case they decided not to proceed with it. We adhere to their decision."

Borough Crown Prosecutor for Havering, Corrine Soanders, said: "A decision was made to charge both defendants with unlawful wounding on 17 January 2009.

"Once the CPS had been supplied with all the necessary evidence relevant to this case, a full review showed there was insufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction. This is a key test which must be met to bring a prosecution and in light of this, the case against the two defendants was discontinued.

"I apologise to the victim and his family for not conveying this decision to them personally. I welcome any questions they may have and will be contacting them shortly to offer further explanation.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter