Attempted abduction in Ipswich park
AN Afghanistani national has appeared before magistrates charged with the attempted abduction of a three-year-old child from an Ipswich park.The worrying case on our doorstep comes as two men are arrested and held in connection with the disappearance of ten-year-olds Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, which has touched the nation.
AN Afghanistani national has appeared before magistrates charged with the attempted abduction of a three-year-old child from an Ipswich park.
The worrying case on our doorstep comes as two men are arrested and held in connection with the disappearance of ten-year-olds Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, which has touched the nation.
Izatollah Assadi, 31, of Ranelagh Road, Ipswich, was arrested at 3am today after the incident, which is alleged to have taken place at Gippeswyk Park on Thursday afternoon.
Assadi was remanded in custody at a special hearing today, to appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates' court on Monday August 19.
A bail application for his release was refused.
Assadi spoke only to confirm his name and address at the 30-minute hearing today. He appeared in the dock wearing a green T-shirt and blue jeans and sat with his head bowed.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 4 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 5 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 6 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 7 'Mum had the last Christmas she deserved' - Ipswich hospice helps families
- 8 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 9 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 10 Women uniting against violence in Ipswich
Ipswich police are also appealing for information, after a man accosted a six-year-old girl, putting his arm around a six-year-old girl and asking her to go home with him.
The incident happened at about midday yesterday outside a bakery in Dales Road, Ipswich.
A man approached three children – a six-year-old, a four-year-old and a baby – who were waiting outside the bakery for their mother.
The man asked the eldest child whether she would like to go with him, but her mother became aware of what was happening and went to the aid of her children. The man walked off.
He is described as being of Asian appearance, 40 to 50-years-old, 5ft 8ins tall with grey slicked back hair and wearing a white T-shirt and beige chino-style trousers.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Dc Phil Clare at Ipswich CID on 01473 383133 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
See page 4 for the full story of the men arrested for the Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells case.