Attempted murder charge dropped
A MIDDLE-AGED Felixstowe man originally charged with attempting to murder his ex-wife has today admitted a lesser charge of assault.Peter Dow, 55, of Ferry Road, Orford, appeared at Ipswich Crown Court for a plea and directions hearing.
A MIDDLE-AGED Felixstowe man originally charged with attempting to murder his ex-wife has today admitted a lesser charge of assault.
Peter Dow, 55, of Ferry Road, Orford, appeared at Ipswich Crown Court for a plea and directions hearing.
The original charge of attempted murder was dropped in favour of assault causing actual bodily harm towards Jennifer Dow on April 4 this year.
Wearing a grey polo neck top and black jeans, Dow spoke only to confirm his name and plea guilty to the revised charge.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecution lawyer Simon Spence, said: "Proving intent to kill is perhaps something the Crown would struggle to do. I offer no evidence in relation to the attempted murder charge."
Represented by barrister Lindsay Cox Dow sat motionless in the dock during the seven-minute hearing.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 3 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 6 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 7 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 8 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 9 Man accused of stealing phone from woman in Ipswich street
- 10 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
Ordering a pre-sentence report Judge John Devaux told the court he would need to hear the facts of the case before passing sentence.
He said: "The factual basis for sentence still has to be finalised. I will reserve the case to myself the next hearing should be possible during the week of July 26."
Both Dow and his ex-wife are expected to give evidence.
The court heard Dow has no previous convictions and he was released on conditional bail. Addressing Dow at the end of the hearing Judge Devaux added: "You have heard what's been said that's as far as we are going with your case today."