Au revoir, Les Bleus (goodbye, France)
FRANCE are out of the World Cup – the first defending champions to go out in the first round since Brazil in 1966.The World and European champions succumbed meekly today, beaten 2-0 by Denmark.
FRANCE are out of the World Cup – the first defending champions to go out in the first round since Brazil in 1966.
The World and European champions succumbed meekly today, beaten 2-0 by Denmark. France went to Korea with what looked a much stronger strike force than when they won the World Cup on their own soil four years ago.
Yet they are on their way home having failed to score a single goal in three games. They finished bottom of their group with just one point from a goalless draw with Uruguay last week.
Today's result – combined with a 3-3 draw between Senegal and Uruguay - means Denmark finish top of Group A and will play the runners-up in England's group in the first knock-out round.
You may also want to watch:
If England top Group F when they play their final group match against Nigeria tomorrow, they will go on to play Senegal in the next round.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 6 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 7 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 8 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 9 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home