Au revoir, Les Bleus (goodbye, France)
FRANCE are out of the World Cup – the first defending champions to go out in the first round since Brazil in 1966.The World and European champions succumbed meekly today, beaten 2-0 by Denmark.
FRANCE are out of the World Cup – the first defending champions to go out in the first round since Brazil in 1966.
The World and European champions succumbed meekly today, beaten 2-0 by Denmark. France went to Korea with what looked a much stronger strike force than when they won the World Cup on their own soil four years ago.
Yet they are on their way home having failed to score a single goal in three games. They finished bottom of their group with just one point from a goalless draw with Uruguay last week.
Today's result – combined with a 3-3 draw between Senegal and Uruguay - means Denmark finish top of Group A and will play the runners-up in England's group in the first knock-out round.
If England top Group F when they play their final group match against Nigeria tomorrow, they will go on to play Senegal in the next round.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 3 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 6 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 7 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 8 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 9 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 10 Driver taken to hospital after two vehicle crash near Ipswich train station