Au revoir, Les Bleus (goodbye, France)
FRANCE are out of the World Cup – the first defending champions to go out in the first round since Brazil in 1966.The World and European champions succumbed meekly today, beaten 2-0 by Denmark.
FRANCE are out of the World Cup – the first defending champions to go out in the first round since Brazil in 1966.
The World and European champions succumbed meekly today, beaten 2-0 by Denmark. France went to Korea with what looked a much stronger strike force than when they won the World Cup on their own soil four years ago.
Yet they are on their way home having failed to score a single goal in three games. They finished bottom of their group with just one point from a goalless draw with Uruguay last week.
Today's result – combined with a 3-3 draw between Senegal and Uruguay - means Denmark finish top of Group A and will play the runners-up in England's group in the first knock-out round.
You may also want to watch:
If England top Group F when they play their final group match against Nigeria tomorrow, they will go on to play Senegal in the next round.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 5 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
- 6 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 7 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
- 8 Suspect in Victoria Hall murder case still being questioned by police
- 9 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 10 Go-ahead secured for new hotel near Ipswich Town ground