Audi and Volkswagen thought to be connected to ram raids found
- Credit: Archant
Two vehicles thought to be connected to ram raids in Suffolk overnight have been found by police.
Three ram raids in Combs Ford, Brantham and Ipswich took place last night, with Suffolk Constabulary investigating the crimes that struck two East of England Co-Op stores and a McColl’s convenience store.
Two vehicles were later discovered, which detectives believe may be linked to these incidents.
At 6.20am on December 11, a blue Audi A3 was discovered in Birkfield Drive.
Around 30mins later at 6.50am, a silver Volkswagen Passat was found in Downing Close, Ipswich with the engine still running.
Officers were called at around 11.50pm last night, Monday, December 10, to reports of a ram raid at the East of England Co-op shop in Combs Ford near Stowmarket.
At 12.40am in the early hours of this morning, Tuesday, December 11, police received further reports of a ram raid taking place at the East of England Coop in Acacia Court, Brantham.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 4 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 5 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 6 Teenage moped driver arrested in Ipswich after failing drug test
- 7 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 8 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 9 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 10 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
A spokesman for Suffolk police said the suspects had not gained entry to the store.
“Witnesses suggest a silver estate car was used,” he said.
“There is an indication this car suffered from rear end damage.”
At around 1am, police received a third report on a ram raid at McColl’s in Stoke Park Drive, Ipswich.
“Suspects had gained entry to the shop although officers do not yet know what was taken,” a spokesman said.
A spokesman for the East of England Co-op said: “I can confirm that two incidents took place at East of England Co-op stores overnight – an attempted burglary at our Combs Ford supermarket, and an attempted ram raid at our store at Acacia Court, Brantham.
“Our Combs Ford supermarket reopened this morning and our Brantham store is currently closed whilst scenes of crime officers carry out their investigations, before repairs are made and the store is tidied.
“Anyone with information should contact Suffolk police, or call Crimestoppers anonymously.”
If you know anything that could assist officers in their investigation, or have seen the silver estate car described, call police on 101 quoting crime reference CAD 15 of today.