Bad luck comes in threes for pub

A PUB owner who lost thousands of pounds of stock in a shed fire involving a propane gas cylinder has today admitted the blaze was his fault.Andrew Hawes, owner of The Limeburners Arms and adjoining fish restaurant, Offton, called fire crews yesterday after allowing a garden bonfire to get out of hand.

A PUB owner who lost thousands of pounds of stock in a shed fire involving a propane gas cylinder has today admitted the blaze was his fault.

Andrew Hawes, owner of The Limeburners Arms and adjoining fish restaurant, Offton, called fire crews yesterday after allowing a garden bonfire to get out of hand.

The flames caught hold of a large storage shed containing a gas cylinder but both were made safe by firefighters within 40 minutes.

Mr Hawes said: "I thought I was being safe by holding two slightly smaller fires at a distance from each other, rather than just one big one. But it went wrong.

"When I saw the flames had spread I called the fire brigade as I could here the gas cylinder hissing so there was no way I was going near it.

"Fortunately the bottle didn't explode. It just bent and melted."

Most Read

Mr Hawes is hoping it is the end of a spell of bad luck which has included another fire and a break-in the space of two months

He said: "We had a small fire two weeks ago when a candle was left burning and in July £1,100 was stolen in a break-in.

"They say bad luck comes in threes so we are hoping that's the end of it.

"Customers call this place "The Burners" and that's certainly the case now.

"I wouldn't like to think how much money the stuff inside the shed was worth.

"There was drink, furniture, all sorts and it is well into the thousands."

Mr Hawes, whose son is a firefighter, is not insured for any of the damage.

The fire did not stop the pub and shop opening at normal time yesterday.

Needham Market and Ipswich firefighters attended the blaze, at Low Road, at 9.30am. The scene was announced safe at 10.10am.

Elsewhere firefighters tackled a fire in a paper bank at Maidenhall sports centre in Ipswich at about 10.40pm yesterday.

Earlier in the day crews were called to a blaze which began in the living room of an East Bergholt house.

The small fire in Broom Knoll, happened at 7.30am yesterday and was under control by 7.45am.

Meanwhile a morning car fire outside a row of homes is being treated as suspicious, the fire service confirmed today.

An F-registration, red Ford Fiesta was set alight after it was believed to have been dumped in Rectory Road, Ipswich, at 3am yesterday.

On Saturday a fire crew were called to put out a blaze in a bin at the Woolworths car park on Tacket Street, Ipswich at just before 10.40am.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter