Bank raider escaped with nothing
AN armed raider who attempted to rob a security guard as he delivered cash to an Ipswich bank escaped with nothing, police revealed today.A man struck outside Lloyds TSB in Nacton Road at around 10am on Friday, the third time in less than two years that the bank has been targeted.
AN armed raider who attempted to rob a security guard as he delivered cash to an Ipswich bank escaped with nothing, police revealed today.
A man struck outside Lloyds TSB in Nacton Road at around 10am on Friday, the third time in less than two years that the bank has been targeted.
The robber initially fled the scene with a bag containing £15,000, but detective chief inspector Mark Jepson, who is leading the investigation, today revealed the money had been discovered nearby by police soon after.
It has also emerged that the robber brandished a hand gun in the attack, although police do not know if it was genuine or imitation.
Det chf insp Jepson said Suffolk police were liaising with other East Anglian forces in a bid to discover if the case is linked to other robberies carried out elsewhere in the region.
He said: “We are speaking to other forces and looking are similarities to see if there are links. We are keeping an open mind.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 3 Tributes paid to Ipswich man who could 'make magic happen'
- 4 Two teenagers charged after man injured in machete attack
- 5 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 8 New details of plans to convert Ipswich church into music venue revealed
- 9 Search for missing man who planned 70-mile walk home still ongoing
- 10 Another heatwave on its way as temperatures set to soar in Suffolk
“We are also considering whether this was carried out by a local person.
“It's still relatively early days but the investigation is progressing nicely.”
Shortly after the raid, armed police surrounded a house in Nansen Road, battering the door down and training their guns on the front of the property.
However, det chf insp Jepson said a tip-off that the property could be linked to the crime proved to be incorrect.
He said: “We went to the house as a result of enquiries we made at the scene, but there was nothing found there of any interest.”
The robber is described as black, dressed in dark clothing and was wearing a beanie hat.
Anyone with information on the robbery is asked to call police on 01473 613500 or 0800 555111.
Are you concerned about crime in Ipswich? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org