Banned driver Aaron Daley from Ipswich jailed after crash which left student with injuries so serious that he needed his leg amputated

Dangerous driver Aaron Daley, who was jailed for 44 months

Dangerous driver Aaron Daley, who was jailed for 44 months - Credit: Archant

Four-time dangerous driver Aaron Daley careered into four teenagers leaving one with his leg needing to be amputated below the knee.

Aaron Daleys car crash in 2009

Aaron Daleys car crash in 2009

Daley, previously of Fore St, Ipswich, was on the run from police at the time of the collision. Afterwards he drove off leaving a second boy with two broken legs and a third with a broken left leg, all of which required extensive surgery. A young girl who was with them had shrapnel wounds from metal and concrete.

Daley is beginning a 44-month jail term and a 12-year driving ban following his latest sentencing which occurred at Cambridge Crown Court.

The 25-year-old had previously admitted three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, failing to stop after an accident and having on insurance.

Two months before the offences took place on August 14 in Cambridge Suffolk police had posted Daley as wanted after jumping bail from Chelmsford Crown Court on a domestic-related threats to kill charge.

He was also wanted on recall to prison following his release from an 18-month jail term given to him at Ipswich Crown Court in July last year. He had also been banned from driving for four years.

On that occasion Daley – who was also a disqualified driver at the time – rammed a police car in the Riverside Hotel car park in Burrell Road, Ipswich, on April 12, 2013. In addition he narrowly missed a policeman who tried to grab the keys out his ignition.

Most Read

Daley, aka Dante Heirs, was described by Judge David Goodin as a “determined and repeated” dangerous driver.

The former Suffolk College media studies student had admitted dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.

In October 2009 Daley’s then-girlfriend feared she would die as he drove at 70mph during a police chase around Ipswich, the town’s crown court heard.

He drove a L-plated Ford Focus over red traffic lights and on the wrong side of the road during the eight-minute, seven-mile pursuit starting in Belstead Road.

Daley’s girlfriend later told police, “I honestly thought he was going to crash and kill me or both of us.”

Daley, then of Griffin Court, Ipswich, admitted dangerous driving while on licence from custody, driving otherwise than in accordance with his licence, and driving without insurance.

He was given 10-months detention in a young offenders’ institution and disqualified from driving for two years.

Daley’s latest offences came after he drove off when police stopped his Fiat Punto. He jumped red lights and created mayhem for other vehicles before hitting a traffic island and ploughing into a group of 16 and 17-year-olds in Cambridge at around midnight on August 14.

Daley drove off at speed after the collision. He was arrested six days later.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter