Barman tells of shock over blaze
A SUFFOLK barman is today told of his shock after a blaze broke out in the pub he lives in.Fire crews were called to the Five Bells pub in High Street, Rattlesden, shortly after 2am today when a fire broke out in the kitchen.
A SUFFOLK barman is today told of his shock after a blaze broke out in the pub he lives in.
Fire crews were called to the Five Bells pub in High Street, Rattlesden, shortly after 2am today when a fire broke out in the kitchen.
Richard Corbyn, who lives there, said: “I had gone upstairs to have my dinner, I had been up there less than half an hour when I could smell smoke. I went and had a look and there were flames coming from the kitchen.
“I moved a lot of stuff out before I got out myself, I'm not sure if I'm brave or stupid.”
Mr Corbyn was put on oxygen by firefighters when they arrived on the scene but did not need hospital treatment for his smoke inhalation.
He said: “It was in the corner of the kitchen. I don't know if the cooker had been left on or how it had started.”
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 3 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 4 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 5 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 6 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 9 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 10 Trophy tours and new stores: 23 nostalgic pictures of Ipswich in the 1980s
Deborah Caley, landlady, said the pub would not be open today. She said: “The only thing I can think of is that you have to pass through the kitchen to get to the cellar so maybe one of the knobs had been knocked on.”