Barry George wins Dando killing appeal
BARRY George, the man jailed for killing Jill Dando, today won his appeal against his conviction.The 47-year-old will now face a re-trial for the murder of the TV presenter in April 1999, after his victory at the Court of Appeal in London.
BARRY George, the man jailed for killing Jill Dando, today won his appeal against his conviction.
The 47-year-old will now face a re-trial for the murder of the TV presenter in April 1999, after his victory at the Court of Appeal in London.
The decision was made by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Phillips, and two other senior judges following a hearing in London.
George was convicted in 2001 of shooting the 37-year-old BBC presenter outside her London home in April 1999.
But fresh scientific evidence relating to a single microscopic speck of firearm discharge residue found in George's coat has cast doubt on the conviction.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 8 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 9 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction