BBC Crimewatch broadcasts appeal to find suspected Ipswich paedophile who jumped police bail
- Credit: Archant
BBC’s Crimewatch has broadcast an appeal in an effort to find a suspected paedophile who went missing from his Ipswich home a year ago.
Michael Philip Leaberry had been living in Wherstead Road at the time, but was under investigation by North Wales Police. He is said to pose a serious risk to children.
The 36-year-old also uses the name Stephen Bugman, or the nickname Sonic.
He had been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a young girl and released on police bail.
The Welsh force and Suffolk Constabulary put out an appeal for Leaberry, as a ‘missing person’ in September and November last year after he disappeared on two occasions
You may also want to watch:
However, in May North Wales Police revealed Leaberry is considered a risk to children.
Suffolk Constabulary first issued an appeal to find Leaberry on September 8 last year. He had been last seen on September 1, although there was a possible sighting near Stowmarket on September 4.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 7 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 8 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
Leaberry was found in Chelmsford on September 14. He had been using the name Stephen Bugman.
Suffolk and North Wales police made another missing person appeal on November 30 after Leaberry had disappeared for a second time two months earlier.
He had not been seen since last September, when he was supposed to have answered bail in Flintshire, north Wales.
In May North Wales Police said: “North Wales Police are appealing for information to trace Michael Philip Leaberry, 35, who is wanted in connection with child sex offences in Flintshire.”
Detective Chief Inspector Simon Williams, of North Wales Police, added: “I would also appeal to Mr Leaberry directly to come forward. Due to the nature of the (alleged) offences he is considered to present a risk of harm to children.”
Leaberry left North Wales in January 2015, moving to Ipswich. He is believed to have been in Ipswich on September 29.
In recent years Leaberry has lived in Suffolk, Essex, Norwich, Edinburgh, Chester, and North Wales.
Crimewatch has said anyone who has information which would help locate Leaberry should telephone 01745 588732