Beccles man accused of raping teenager
A TEENAGE girl told an Ipswich court how a 36-year-old man raped her. The girl who was 14 at the time of the alleged rape said Gary Canham, of Queen Elizabeth Drive, Beccles, had driven her to a countryside location before attacking her.
By HELEN SKENE
A TEENAGE girl alleged at an Ipswich court that a 36-year-old man raped her.
The girl who was 14 at the time of the incident, said Gary Canham, of Queen Elizabeth Drive, Beccles, had driven her to a countryside location before attacking her.
She said: "He pushed me backwards. I was lying on my back on a bale of hay with my legs dangling. He pulled off my trousers and knickers and touched me."
She told Ipswich Crown Court he then seriously sexually assaulted her. "I said no," the girl added.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 6 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 7 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 8 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 9 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
"To start with I thought he was just messing about. I was just lying there to begin with, then when I realised what he was doing I said no. He said I must be enjoying it.
"I pushed him away. I said get off, get in the car."
The girl, whose evidence was recorded on video and played to the court, was asked about details of the incident.
She said Canham had pulled down her trousers and underwear and was standing between her legs touching her intimately.
When asked about how Canham undressed himself she replied: "I do not know, I was just lying there. When asked what it felt like she replied: "I don't really know, it hurt."
The girl also described three occasions when Canham stroked her legs and touched her indecently while they were sitting on the sofa at his home.
Canham admits three counts of indecent assault, but denies raping the girl.
He also denies six further counts of raping the girl's
The trial continues.