Beer festival to celebrate Scouts
NEARLY 100 people turned up to a German Beer evening in celebration of 100 years of Scouting.Fears that the rugby World Cup final between England and South Africa would lead to low numbers were quashed as scores of beer lovers flocked to the event on Saturday night, organised by the leaders of the 24th Ipswich Scouts.
NEARLY 100 people turned up to a German Beer evening in celebration of 100 years of Scouting.
Fears that the rugby World Cup final between England and South Africa would lead to low numbers were quashed as scores of beer lovers flocked to the event on Saturday night, organised by the leaders of the 24th Ipswich Scouts.
Special bottles of beer, specially labelled BP Ale, after Baden Powell, the Scout's founder, were created to mark the anniversary of the first Scout camp on Brownsea Island in 1907.
The limited edition bottles were only on sale at the event at Westbourne Sports College, Marlow Road, Ipswich, due to licensing laws.
All the money raised from their sales will go towards purchasing transport for the scouts in the Sproughton Road area.
Stewart Bethell, group scout leader, said: “It went really well. The rugby did affect us a bit but we still had 92 people turn up and we sold nine cases of BP ale which is great.
- 1 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 2 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 5 Line-up announced for Ipswich library's music event
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 8 Revealed: The latest Covid rates in every Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 10 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
“I haven't worked out how much we have raised yet but if we did well, then the committee would like to do another event like this next year.”
Is there an event coming up you would like us to publicise? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org