Best pals are going to great lengths to help our heroes
IPSWICH: They’ve been best pals for years but a fundraising duo are today preparing to take their friendship to new levels.
Georgia Simmons, 23, and Rachel Hannigan, 26, are set to embark on a gruelling 74-mile trek along the length of Hadrian’s Wall.
The pair will venture to the Anglo/Scottish border on July 12 before walking up to 21-miles a day for four days, in the hope of raising thousands for Help for Heroes.
Miss Simmons, who is preparing to join the army at Sandhurst Military Academy, said she was looking forward to the trek.
The law graduate said: “It’s quite a challenge, but I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone but Rachel.
“We wanted to do something that people would recognise as an achievement so we decided to hang up our high heels in favour for some hiking boots.
“We decided to raise money for Help for Heroes because with me joining the army, it is a charity which is very close to my heart.”
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 8 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 9 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
- 10 Inquest into death of 32-year-old woman in Barham crash postponed
But the fundraising duo said that they hoped the trek wouldn’t be too strenuous.
The 26-year-old, who was born in Debenham but now lives in Ipswich, added: “We both love going to the gym, we run between five and ten miles a day.
“It won’t be the distance that we struggle with, it will be the terrain – it’s quite mountainous which could make it more difficult.”
To donate money to Georgia and Rachel’s cause visit www.justgiving.com/highheels-and-hikingboots
n Are you raising money for a charity which is close to your heart? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or alternatively you can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org