Biker dies in road tragedy
POLICE were today investigating a crash in which a 56-year-old Suffolk motorcyclist was killed as icy conditions played havoc on the region's roads.The man, believed to be from Chelmondiston, died when his vehicle veered off the Ipswich-bound carriageway of the A12 at Stratford St Mary and into a field.
POLICE were today investigating a crash in which a 56-year-old Suffolk motorcyclist was killed as icy conditions played havoc on the region's roads.
The man, believed to be from Chelmondiston, died when his vehicle veered off the Ipswich-bound carriageway of the A12 at Stratford St Mary and into a field.
The accident, which involved a blue Honda motorcycle, happened at just after midnight. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Today's crash brings the total number of people killed on Suffolk's roads this year to 52 according to police figures.
You may also want to watch:
Slippery conditions caused a number of problems on the Suffolk's roads overnight and early today.
Up to seven vehicles were thought to have been involved in an accident on the Ipswich-bound carriageway of the A14 at Rougham at around 8.30am.
- 1 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 2 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 6 Driver faces court after BMW clocked at 110mph on A14
- 7 Cyclist suffers injuries after crash in Ipswich
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Receptionist spent 40 days and nights living in Ipswich animal shelter
- 10 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
The smash resulted in both carriageways of the road being blocked for a period of time while the scene was cleared.
No one was trapped in the wreckage and only minor injuries were suffered.
A 13-year-old female cyclist was taken to Ipswich Hospital today after a collision with a car.
It happened at around 8.20am in Byron Road, Ipswich. The girl's injuries are not thought to be serious.
Traffic was also delayed along another stretch of the A14 following an incident involving a lorry and a car.
No one was injured in the accident, which happened near Coddenham at around 5.50am.
The Ford Mondeo car ended up in the central reservation of the Ipswich-bound carriageway, while the lorry careered into a ditch.
Meanwhile, a van driver had a lucky escape after an accident on the A14.
The white Renault Trafic was travelling eastbound on the A14 when it overturned near Stratton Hall in Trimley St Martin around 6.30pm yesterday.
The ambulance service was called, but the driver was not taken to hospital.