Binmen overcome by fumes

TWO refuse men had a lucky escape today after chemicals leaked from their refuse truck.A small quantity of low hazardous substance had caught fire in the truck while it was on a routine rubbish collection.

By Georgina James

TWO refuse men had a lucky escape today after chemicals leaked from their refuse truck.

A small quantity of low hazardous substance had caught fire in the truck while it was on a routine rubbish collection.

The men were travelling along the B1117 at Horham, near Eye, just before 9am when their cab was filled by fumes.

Five fire crews from Stradbroke, Needham Market, Saxmundham, Ipswich and Felixstowe attended the incident. Firefighters were at the scene for an hour and three-quarters.

The men were not taken to hospital but were treated by paramedics at the scene.

Most Read

A spokeswoman for Mid Suffolk District Council reminded the public about the potential dangers when disposing of large quantities of chemical and gas products in their normal household rubbish which, although may be safe in isolation, can be potentially hazardous when mixed together.

Paul Lewis, waste and environmental streetcare team coordinator, said: "If people are in any doubt at all about the materials they are disposing of, then please call us."

Rubbish collection services in the area were not affected by the incident and residents had their bins emptied as normal.

Mid Suffolk can be contacted on 01449 727711.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter