Search

Blaze at OAP's home

PUBLISHED: 23:41 14 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:55 03 March 2010

AN ELDERLY Ipswich woman recalled seeing flames leap from her kitchen door after a blaze broke out in her home today.

Vera Burns, 87, fled to her neighbour's house after spotting the blaze in her detached home in Ransome Road just before 9am.

AN ELDERLY Ipswich woman recalled seeing flames leap from her kitchen door after a blaze broke out in her home today.

Vera Burns, 87, fled to her neighbour's house after spotting the blaze in her detached home in Ransome Road just before 9am.

She left a saucepan on the oven which overheated and caught light to two towels hanging on the kitchen door.

Mrs Burns said: "I was in the sitting room at the time and came into the kitchen when I saw the fire. The flames were really high. I wasn't frightened. Just more worried about getting the fire out. Thankfully it was spotted in time or it could have been worse."

The neighbours doused the flames with water and telephoned the fire brigade who arrived within minutes.

Mrs Burns said she wanted to thank her neighbours and the firefighters who cleaned up the smoke damage and returned to install smoke alarms.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star