Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 4°C

Search

Blaze flat law loophole

PUBLISHED: 12:06 31 August 2001 | UPDATED: 10:28 03 March 2010

THE early stages of an investigation into the house where Suffolk teenagers Will Stokes and Rob Giles died indicate the owner did not have permission to rent the property as bedsits.

THE early stages of an investigation into the house where Suffolk teenagers Will Stokes and Rob Giles died indicate the owner did not have permission to rent the property as bedsits.

However a spokesman for Suffolk Coastal District Council today said that although its records show permission to turn the house in Felixstowe into six flats was denied in 1986 there was nothing to stop the owner renting out rooms to lodgers.

Although there were smoke detectors in the property in Holland Road this loophole means there is no legal requirement for the proprietor of a family home to install a fire escape, strengthened fire doors or smoke detectors.

As the scale of Wednesday's tragedy continues to sink in Rob Giles, mother, Margaret, has paid a moving tribute to her son on his band Boot50's website alongside many other mourners.

Mrs Giles message reads: "Thank you to everybody who has paid tribute to my wonderful son - your messages are a great comfort to me.

"Rob, I love you so much and am so proud of you. My life will be empty without you."

The website – www.boot50.com – also informs people of The Evening Star memorial appeal for Rob, 18, and 19-year-old Will which has received a boost today with businesses across Suffolk pledging donations.

More to follow later.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists