Blaze pair released without charge
TWO men arrested following two fires in the same night at a disused ice-cream factory have been released without charge.Firefighters were called out on two separate occasions on September 11, to fires in the Grimwade Street premises.
TWO men arrested following two fires in the same night at a disused ice-cream factory have been released without charge.
Firefighters were called out on two separate occasions on September 11, to fires in the Grimwade Street premises.
On both occasions the same two men, who had been squatting in the former factory, were present and after the second fire the police were called and the men arrested on suspicion of arson.
John Clarke Warren, 53, who now lives at the Salvation Army hostel at Lindon House, and Garry Sutton, 38, were this week told they will not face charges over the fires.
Mr Warren said he and another man, Gary Cannall carried out a dramatic rescue when they returned from town to find the building ablaze with their friend, Mr Sutton, unconscious inside. The three had been squatting in the building.
He said: “It was thick with smoke and incredibly hot.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 3 'My darling boy' - Mum's tribute to six-month-old baby who died after crash
- 4 Ipswich man and Cadillac films with The Only Way Is Essex
- 5 Ipswich man who abandoned Land Rover on train tracks convicted
- 6 60 year old family business enters third generation
- 7 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 8 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 9 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 10 Seven arrested after two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
“I found Gary (Sutton) unconscious on the sofa, but couldn't wake him up, so I called out to Gary Cannall and the two of us managed to get his arms and legs and lift him out.
“We dialled 999 when we were outside and the fire brigade arrived to put out the fire. He came round as soon as we got him into the fresh air, and was fine.
“We went back into town because we couldn't go back into the squat, and when we walked back to see what was going on, the fire brigade had come back and were putting out another fire.”
Because of the suspicious circumstances, police were called by the fire brigade and the two men, of no fixed abode, were arrested.
Mr Warren said: “I can see that it looked suspicious as we were there after both fires - but both times I arrived back at the flat when the fire was already going.
“I did not leave anything burning inside that may have started it, and thankfully the police believed us when we told them that.”
Fire service community safety manager, Ian Bowell, said he urges extreme caution for anyone faced with the decision to enter a burning building if they know someone is trapped inside.
He said: “People have carried out some very brave acts, and saved lives by taking this course of action.
“Unfortunately for every one person who manages it, there is probably one who died trying.
“Entering a burning building to attempt a rescue, if you are untrained, is highly dangerous - as well as the flames there will be smoke and toxic fumes from burning materials.
“The important advice is to make sure that wherever you find yourself living, you have an escape plan in case of a fire, and everyone staying there knows what it is.”
Have you been affected by a fire at your home? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com