Blaze rips through large country house

PUBLISHED: 10:09 15 October 2001 | UPDATED: 10:40 03 March 2010

FIREFIGHTERS from around Suffolk are today salvaging what they can from a fire which completely destroyed a large house.


FIREFIGHTERS from around Suffolk are today salvaging what they can from a fire which completely destroyed a large house.

Crews were called to the blaze at The Brambles, Church Road, Denham, near Eye, at 11.15pm yesterday and were still on the scene today.

The roof of the house, as well as upper bedrooms, were completely destroyed by the blaze which is being investigated. Fire chiefs have refused to rule out foul play.

Within minutes of the emergency call being made, crews from Stradbroke, Eye, Headquarters in Ipswich, Needham Market, Framlingham, Stowmarket, Diss, Harleston and Debenham were on the scene with, in total, more than 60 firefighters trying to extinguish the fire.

They used breathing apparatus and water fog jets to combat the blaze, taking 90 minutes to bring the fire under control. Throughout this morning firefighters salvaged what they could from the stricken household.

Homeowner Margaret Reeves had already managed to evacuate her family and their dog. It is thought that she heard a massive roar come from the top of the house before it burst into flames.

Sub officer John Clouting from Halesworth, who was still on the scene today, said: "I am unable to comment on the cause of the fire, but I can confirm that it is being investigated. Luckily the family involved were able to get out of the house and from what I have been told, the woman heard a loud roar before the fire broke out. The roof area is totally gutted and there is not a lot left of the upper bedrooms. The whole house has serious waterlogging throughout."

Mrs Reeves did not wish to speak at length about the blaze but praised firefighters for their help.

"I would just like to thank the fire service for a wonderful job and also to all of my neighbours who have rallied round us at this time," she said.

Elsewhere Suffolk Fire Service was kept busy overnight.

Just after 2.35am today two crews were despatched to extinguish a lorry tractor unit which had caught alight on the A137 at Tattingstone.

Firefighters were also called in to put out a rubbish fire at the Kingfisher Avenue car park in Ipswich. The blaze began at 9.05pm yesterday.

Less than five hours earlier crews were sent to the 405 Club in Bader Close, Ipswich, to deal with a blaze at the derelict building.

The fire was reported at 4.53pm.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists