Blaze spotted ar garden shop

NEW neighbours of watchful Reg Baldwin have him to thank today, after he spotted their coal shed ablaze and dialled 999.The actions of Mr Baldwin, of Stour Avenue, Felixstowe, saved the flames spreading towards the house next door - into which a family from Lincoln are due to move into in a few days' time.

By Tracey Sparling

NEW neighbours of watchful Reg Baldwin have him to thank today, after he spotted their coal shed ablaze and dialled 999.

The actions of Mr Baldwin, of Stour Avenue, Felixstowe, saved the flames spreading towards the house next door - into which a family from Lincoln are due to move into in a few days' time.

Mr Baldwin, 76, remarked to his wife at 8.30pm on Saturday that he could smell burning.

He said: "I looked out of an upstairs window and could see smoke pouring out of the shed.

"It had got into my shed too. I dialled 999 for the firemen to come."

Most Read

He suspects youngsters had been playing with fire at the property, which has stood empty for some time. Tools and paper in the brick shed were charred to cinders.

Crews from been Felixstowe attended the fire, which is being treated as suspicious by police.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter