Body found on railway line
POLICE are today investigating the death of a woman who is believed to have been struck by a train in Essex.
POLICE are today investigating the death of a woman who was struck by a train in Essex.
The woman's body was discovered on the tracks near Mistley station at around 8.30 this morning.
Officers from Essex police and the British Transport Police are currently on scene trying to identify the woman and establish the circumstances surrounding her death.
Her death is not being treated as suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
Services on the Harwich to Manningtree line, where the incident happened, were suspended for around an hour.
Peter Meades, spokesman for rail operator National Express East Anglia, said the company was working closely with the emergency services during the investigation.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 4 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 7 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 8 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Daughter pays tribute to keen sailor with 'contagious energy'
The train which struck the woman remained on the tracks for a short time before moving on to Colchester, where passengers were transferred to another service.
Mr Meades said: “We have to make sure the driver is relieved of duty and that we follow various actions. We are following all those procedures as we speak.”
National Express is currently arranging replacement buses between the two towns. Services on the mainline from Norwich to Liverpool Street have not been disrupted.
A spokeswoman for British Transport Police (BTP) said: “BTP can confirm that a woman has died after being struck by a train near to Mistley rail station today.
“The incident was reported to police at 8.35am and is currently being attended by BTP, Essex Police and paramedics from the ambulance service.
“The incident is being treated as non-suspicious.”