Body found on railway line
POLICE are today investigating the death of a woman who is believed to have been struck by a train in Essex.
POLICE are today investigating the death of a woman who was struck by a train in Essex.
The woman's body was discovered on the tracks near Mistley station at around 8.30 this morning.
Officers from Essex police and the British Transport Police are currently on scene trying to identify the woman and establish the circumstances surrounding her death.
Her death is not being treated as suspicious.
Services on the Harwich to Manningtree line, where the incident happened, were suspended for around an hour.
Peter Meades, spokesman for rail operator National Express East Anglia, said the company was working closely with the emergency services during the investigation.
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
- 7 Hopes pre-built extension plans will attract bigger acts to the Regent
- 8 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 9 Meet John Cook the next mayor of Ipswich – and a Norwich City supporter
- 10 GALLERY: 14 pictures from the Ipswich Twilight Races 2022
The train which struck the woman remained on the tracks for a short time before moving on to Colchester, where passengers were transferred to another service.
Mr Meades said: “We have to make sure the driver is relieved of duty and that we follow various actions. We are following all those procedures as we speak.”
National Express is currently arranging replacement buses between the two towns. Services on the mainline from Norwich to Liverpool Street have not been disrupted.
A spokeswoman for British Transport Police (BTP) said: “BTP can confirm that a woman has died after being struck by a train near to Mistley rail station today.
“The incident was reported to police at 8.35am and is currently being attended by BTP, Essex Police and paramedics from the ambulance service.
“The incident is being treated as non-suspicious.”