Bomb scare seals off court
IPSWICH magistrates' court was sealed off today following a bomb scare.An unknown man phoned The Evening Star at about 8.45am and claimed to have planted two devices in the Elm Street building.
IPSWICH magistrates' court was sealed off today following a bomb scare.
An unknown man phoned The Evening Star at about 8.45am and claimed to have planted two devices in the Elm Street building.
Police and bomb disposal experts were immediately alerted to the incident and everyone was ordered to leave the Elm Street building by 9.10am.
People were being prevented from approaching the magistrates, although roads surrounding it remained open.
You may also want to watch:
Normal business at the court was suspended, with defendants sent home. Police sniffer dogs were sent inside to see if there was any suspicious devices.
Sir Alf Ramsey Way, near to Ipswich Town's Portman Road stadium, was set aside as an area for the emergency services to gather in the event of an explosion.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 4 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 7 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 9 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 10 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
The entrance to South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court was being patrolled by a security guard.
The town's police station, which is opposite the court, had not been evacuated by early today.
An army spokeswoman confirmed a call had been received to Ipswich.
She said: "We are aware of the situation and we have been called out.
"At this time we believe it to be a hoax call but until the officers return we will not know for sure."