Bottle banks are gone but not forgotten
WHAT'S happened to our bottle banks?That's the battle-cry from Ipswich man Dick Barton who was shattered to discover three recycling bins missing at Major's Corner.
By Amanda Cresswell
WHAT'S happened to our bottle banks?
That's the battle-cry from Ipswich man Dick Barton who was shattered to discover three recycling bins missing at Major's Corner.
The brown, green and clear bottle banks disappeared just after Christmas and Mr Barton is calling for them to be reinstated.
The Belvedere Road resident, who wanted to use the bottle bank to drop off some glasses, said: "The bottle banks disappeared just at a time when people would most likely to need them.
"But the sign is still there. I thought perhaps that the council had taken them away to be cleaned out."
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 5 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 7 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 8 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 9 List of 18 rejected proposals to save Felixstowe beach huts revealed
- 10 Fuel spillage causes delays on busy Ipswich road after truck breaks down
Ipswich Borough Council told him a contractor removed the bottle banks because the toilet block is going to be demolished and rebuilt.
He was re-directed to the bottle bank in St Helen's Street, near the former Attic club but found it full to the brim.
"What I want to know is are they going to re-site the bottle banks?" said Mr Barton, 63.
"This is just not satisfactory. Lots of people drop off their bottles at Major's Corner when they walk in to town. It is just disappointing that there is now no where to put them."
A spokesman from Ipswich Borough Council confirmed the bottle bank has been taken away temporarily while the toilet block at the top of Old Foundry Road is knocked down and rebuilt.
The bottle banks will be returned as soon as work is finished, which is expected to be around October.