Boxing Day weather forecast – and could it snow tomorrow?

Suffolk is bracing itself for a wet and windy Christmas. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Suffolk is bracing itself for a wet and windy Christmas. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

Watch today’s Met Office weather forecast for Boxing Day, while we have an update from Weatherquest about the chance of snow possibly hitting Suffolk and Essex tomorrow.

Large parts of the region will enjoy blue skies for most of today with cooler temperatures reaching 7C (44.6F) compared to 11C (51.8F) on Christmas Day, but there could be rain later tonight.

And that rain tomorrow (December 27), which could be heavy at times, could become sleet or even wet snow, but is not expected to settle. There is a 70% chance of sleet and a 30% chance of wet snow tomorrow, according to Phil Garner, forecaster at Weatherquest.

He said: “Today looks like staying dry but cooler and fresher than recent days. There is forecast to be rain overnight, hitting Suffolk and Norfolk at around 7pm or 8pm tonight. There could be heavy bursts later in the night but not initially.

“There is a risk that the rain might turn to snow. Not in Suffolk or Essex, which could get wet snow, but in Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, and Essex; those parts of the woods.

“It will be cloudy and wet, with quite heavy bursts of rain in Norfolk and Suffolk tomorrow, with a chance of sleet and wet snow from atound 9am onwards. I think it will be sleet or wet snow but I am not expecting it to settle.

“It will turn a bit more showery in the afternoon, with some brightness towards the end of the afternoon.

Most Read

“But it will be feeling cold with quite a keen north-westerly wind. Temperatures could be 3C (37.4F) to 5C (41F).”