Boy, 15, killed in road horror
ONE child has died and another is fighting for their life today after being hit by a car on an Ipswich street.A car collided with two 15-year-olds in the Bishop's Hill and Fore Hamlet area of town at around 12.
ONE child has died and another is fighting for their life today after being hit by a car on an Ipswich street.
A car collided with two 15-year-olds in the Bishop's Hill and Fore Hamlet area of town at around 12.40pm today.
A 33-year-old male driver of a blue Volvo was arrested a couple of minutes later in nearby Key Street after his vehicle collided with a wall.
He was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, failing to stop after an accident and suspicion of driving under the influence of drink or drugs.
You may also want to watch:
Police were originally called to a domestic incident in Boyton Road, Ipswich at 12.30pm. Witnesses reported seeing a blue Volvo being driven from the scene with a woman clinging to the bonnet. She fell off the front of the car and suffered minor injuries.
When police officers attended this scene the car had already left. Details of the car were broadcast to nearby officers and a police transit van saw a vehicle matching the description in Bishops Hill. After the car had passed them, the police van stopped and turned.
- 1 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 2 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
- 3 Car ends up on side after crash involving parked car
- 4 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 5 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Vandals strike at beautiful stately home near Ipswich during restoration
- 8 Pub owner on how 'amazing' community support helped venue survive
- 9 Meet the Ipswich 18-year-old who is now one of UK's youngest politicians
- 10 New primary and pre-school set for September 2022 opening
Moments later it was claimed the Volvo collided with two 15-year-olds. A Volvo later crashed into a wall in Key Street.
Three ambulances and a rapid response vehicle were sent to the scene in the Bishops Hill area at around 12.40pm. Eight police cars were also on the scene.
The area was completely sealed off.
An eye witness said that the two were pinned up against the car and were carried several yards along the road.
Daniel Lloyd, 25 of Kelly Road, Ipswich is manager of Trinity Tyres on Bishop's Hill and witnessed the aftermath of the crash.
He said: "The first I knew about it was when my brother came in here and said that a couple of kids had been hit.
"I saw the carnage and the children lying in the road.
"When I got there, there was a young girl sitting on the side of the road, she was distraught.
"I definitely saw three children and two were definitely hit.
"I think the policeman was behind when it happened and the police got here in minutes."
Mr Lloyd said: "The children were on the path and the bloke mounted the path.
"There were three children all together."
A spokesman for East Anglian Ambulance Service said that two people were being resuscitated on the way to Ipswich Hospital but that one of them had died.
At the same time, motorists were being diverted away from the nearby Salthouse Street area of town where three cars and a pushbike had been in collision.
Traffic was gridlocked as police diverted them away from the area that had also been cordoned off.