Boy charged with murder after two men died in double stabbing will be remanded in youth custody until January
- Credit: Archant
A teenager charged with the murder of two men following an incident in Ipswich on Thursday has twice appeared in court today.
The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because of his age, made a brief appearance at magistrates’ court in Ipswich this morning via video link.
He was referred straight to Ipswich Crown Court where he appeared in the afternoon.
He has now been remanded in youth custody and will make his next court appearance on January 9.
Police were called at just after 1.15pm on Thursday 8 December, to reports that a man aged in his thirties had been stabbed at West Meadows and had collapsed outside the entrance to the site. He was taken to hospital in an ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
A further call was then received at just after 1.30pm reporting that another man – aged in his late teens – had been brought to Ipswich Hospital in a car having sustained suspected stab wounds.
The men were taken for treatment but died in hospital a short time later.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
Shortly after 1.30pm on the day of the incident, police conducting enquiries at West Meadows detained a teenage boy in the vicinity of Paper Mill Lane in Bramford. He was arrested on suspicion of murder and taken into police custody.
The victims have been formally identified as Barry Street aged 32 and Nathan Oakley aged 18, both from Ipswich. Post-mortem examinations carried out yesterday found that both victims died as a result of stab injuries.
Police are appealing for anyone who was in the vicinity of West Meadows between 8am and 3pm on Thursday 8 December to contact detectives with any information they may have. Officers are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have driven past the entrance of the site during this time and who have dash-cams fitted in their vehicles.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Major Investigation Team on 101 quoting reference 70694/16, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.