Boys arrested after school vandalism
THREE young boys are under arrest today after a £15,000 spree of destruction at a Stowmarket school.Police revealed two 11-year-olds and a 10-year-old – all from Stowmarket – had been taken into custody and bailed after the Saturday night attack.
THREE young boys are under arrest today after a £15,000 spree of destruction at a Stowmarket school.
Police revealed two 11-year-olds and a 10-year-old – all from Stowmarket – had been taken into custody and bailed after the Saturday night attack.
Headteacher Gordon Ewing said the school would be closed until Wednesday to clean up devastation which saw human excrement in a classroom, musical and computer equipment destroyed and pupils' work trashed.
The attack was the first of two in a grim weekend for Suffolk schools. Police are also investigating after arsonists torched a minibus at Copleston High.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ewing said: "The staff have seen it for the first time this morning and some of them have been in tears.
"They were all visibly upset and I'm totally devastated. We all take a pride in our work.
- 1 Anger as 'selfish' fly-tippers dump couch in Ipswich street
- 2 Man arrested over Cardinal Park stabbing
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Seafront theatre set for big improvements and balcony dining
- 6 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 7 Warning of lightning strikes across Suffolk as stormy weather continues
- 8 Ipswich man in court accused of setting light to car
- 9 26 valuable coins you might have at home
- 10 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next month
"I've been head here for nine years, a headteacher for 19 years and in teaching for 28 years and I've never seen anything like this."
As well as the gruesome clean-up facing staff at the Walnut Tree Walk school, expert plumbing and electrical contractors have been called in.
Other havoc was wreaked by leaving taps running in the girls' toilets and letting off fire extinguishers.
Mr Ewing said he had no alternative but to close the doors at the school until Wednesday.
He said: "It's a decision I haven't taken lightly, but in order to maintain the health and safety of pupils and staff."
Copleston escaped more lightly after their weekend brush with vandals. The minibus attacked in the early hours today was long-retired and due for removal.
But headteacher Laurie Robinson revealed his "frustration" at the way in which his school was targeted after enjoying a long vandalism-free spell.
He said: "We have had a good spell over the last 12 months, but like any school we have had instances in the past.
"Schools are particularly vulnerable because they are known by members of the community.
"I think frustration would be the right word – frustration at the pointlessness of it all."
The fire service confirmed the Copleston fire was being treated as suspicious.