Fisons developers given court order to make site safer
Developers at the former Fisons fertiliser factory in Bramford have been issued with court order to make the site safer amid concerns over its security.
Peterborough-based Paper Mill Lane Properties was taken to court by Mid Suffolk District Council this week.
Last April Suffolk Fire and Rescue was called to two blazes on different parts of the site.
Since then further concerns have been made about fly-tipping and unauthorised access to the former factory.
The case had been adjourned several times this month already to allow Paper Mill Lane Properties to gather more evidence.
You may also want to watch:
However, magistrates have now ordered the company to “execute such works as may be necessary to obviate the danger” at the site and prevent further deterioration that could constitute a danger to the public.
The company now has until July 28 to complete work at the site to Mid Suffolk’s satisfaction.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
David Burn, Mid Suffolk District Council cabinet member for the environment, said: “We’re grateful to the magistrates for issuing this order.
“We’ve spent the last year trying to work with the landowner to secure the former Fisons site and protect the public from the danger the current condition of the building presents.
“It’s regrettable that we have had to resort to a court order to protect the public, but it is important that owners of not just historic buildings but all buildings understand that their duty of care is not an optional extra but a statutory responsibility.”
Kelvin Dakin, who leads the Save the Northern Warehouse campaign, said he was pleased with the latest news.
“This is definitely a step in the right direction, at last, but we wait to see what work is carried out and when,” said Mr Dakin.
“A solution is still urgently needed for the eventual use of the site and the restoration of the listed building.”
In 2014 the site was earmarked for housing and offices but so far no work has been undertaken.
In a recent poll by this newspaper, 37% of the 111 respondents said they still wanted the site to be used for housing - with a further 22% believing that the site could be used to house community facilities.
Paper Mill Lane Properties has been contacted for comment.