Real-life Rapunzel who hasn’t had hair cut in 23 years prepares to brave the shave
- Credit: Archant
Meet Ruth – the real-life Rapunzel who hasn’t had a haircut in almost 24 years and is preparing to shave it all off for a good cause.
Mother-of-three Ruth Clark, whose long locks have been with her longer than her eldest son Eddy, is doing the “unthinkable” in a few months’ time and having all 22 inches chopped off.
The 51-year-old admits she is both excited and nervous as she prepares for her challenge later this year. As a long-serving cub scout leader, she aims to collect vital funds for a new scout hut, with her hair set to be donated to the Little Princess Trust.
“I think I might cry when it goes,” she said.
“I was going to get it cut just before I had my first son and once he was born I just never got round to it. He’s 23 now.
“It’s going on for nearly 24 years I would say now. I just never get round to going to the hairdresser, I just plait it and it’s easy to maintain. I’ve measured it at about 22 inches, I can just about sit on it.
She added: “So it’s quite a big thing for me to have it all shaved off – I’m excited and nervous at the same time.
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
- 4 Hopes pre-built extension plans will attract bigger acts to the Regent
- 5 Driver fined £100 after accidentally entering wrong date on car park app
- 6 Court orders Ipswich drug dealer to repay £63,000
- 7 Fire crews and a boat called to rescue deer from water near Stoke Quay
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: the criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Talented young DJ collaborates with Ipswich cocktail bar after debut in London nightclub
- 10 Teenage girl followed twice by man in Ipswich
“It’s unthinkable at the moment but I’ve got my heart set on it.”
The cub scout leader, of the 1st Brantham Scout & Guide Group, is aiming to raise £3,000 to put towards a new headquarters – by braving the shave at a special quiz night on October 5.
“We desperately need a new scout and guide hut, the one we have at the moment is showing its age and falling apart,” she added.
“I think it was built as temporary accommodation in the 1940s and has stayed that way ever since. It has a leaky roof, it’s poorly insulated and doesn’t have enough space. It’s part of our 80th anniversary celebrations this year to try and give it a bit of a new lease of life if you like.
She continued: “So if I can raise £3,000 it’s only a small part of the money we need in total, which is around £300,000, but together with the other fundraising efforts we’re making I’m hoping it will make some sort of a difference.”
Ruth, who is also mother to Ben, 21, and Alice, 18, has set up a Facebook page to help her fundraising efforts.
So far, she has collected more than £1,800 thanks to donations from 85 people.
Make a donation to the cause via Wonderful.org