Brazilians’ gym team to prepare for 2012 in town
ipswich: Excitement is building at a town gymnastics centre as trainers prepare to sign a contract with the Brazilian 2012 gymnastics team.
Representatives from Brazil are set to venture to Ipswich in June to sign the contract which will see the gymnastics team train and live in Ipswich prior to and during the games.
Andy Wood, head coach for the Brazier’s Wood Road facility, said that it was a very exciting time for the town.
“We are delighted to be signing the contract with the Brazilian gymnastics team,” he said.
“We are absolutely delighted. We met with representatives last week and we have sent them a contract.
You may also want to watch:
“They will be returning to the town to sign it in June.
“We have some of the best facilities in the country and we are excited about showing them off.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 3 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 4 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 7 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 8 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 9 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 10 Not long to wait for new café at Needham Lake
“Centres across the country are copying our designs, and it is great to think that the Brazilian team will be training here.”
Earlier this year, The Evening Star revealed that the supervisor of Brazil’s elite sports department – Gustavo Satio Harada – had been impressed by Piper’s Vale as a centre and the level of passion in Ipswich for the sport.
John Stebbings, Ipswich Borough Council’s Project Manager for 2012, said: “This confirmation is really good news and we congratulate Andy Wood and his team at the gymnastics centre.
“With Brazilian gymnasts joining Azerbaijan’s athletes here for training ahead of the Games, it shows Ipswich is going to be the focus of a lot of attention in 2012.
“Meanwhile, we are busy building cultural and tourism links with Azerbaijan and look forward to a fantastic build-up to the London Olympics.”
n Are you excited about the prospect of the gymnastic team coming to town? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.