Brazilians’ gym team to prepare for 2012 in town
ipswich: Excitement is building at a town gymnastics centre as trainers prepare to sign a contract with the Brazilian 2012 gymnastics team.
Representatives from Brazil are set to venture to Ipswich in June to sign the contract which will see the gymnastics team train and live in Ipswich prior to and during the games.
Andy Wood, head coach for the Brazier’s Wood Road facility, said that it was a very exciting time for the town.
“We are delighted to be signing the contract with the Brazilian gymnastics team,” he said.
“We are absolutely delighted. We met with representatives last week and we have sent them a contract.
“They will be returning to the town to sign it in June.
“We have some of the best facilities in the country and we are excited about showing them off.
- 1 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 2 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 3 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 4 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 5 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 6 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 7 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 8 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 9 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
- 10 St Clement's Church ready for new life as an arts centre
“Centres across the country are copying our designs, and it is great to think that the Brazilian team will be training here.”
Earlier this year, The Evening Star revealed that the supervisor of Brazil’s elite sports department – Gustavo Satio Harada – had been impressed by Piper’s Vale as a centre and the level of passion in Ipswich for the sport.
John Stebbings, Ipswich Borough Council’s Project Manager for 2012, said: “This confirmation is really good news and we congratulate Andy Wood and his team at the gymnastics centre.
“With Brazilian gymnasts joining Azerbaijan’s athletes here for training ahead of the Games, it shows Ipswich is going to be the focus of a lot of attention in 2012.
“Meanwhile, we are busy building cultural and tourism links with Azerbaijan and look forward to a fantastic build-up to the London Olympics.”
n Are you excited about the prospect of the gymnastic team coming to town? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.