Bride and groom in custody
A BRIDE and groom are in custody today after police arrested them at their wedding.Carina Eunice de Silva Salvador, 20, and Mohamed Kessar, 34, both of Moore Road, Ipswich, were arrested before taking their vows yesterday on suspicion of breaking immigration law.
A BRIDE and groom are in custody today after police arrested them at their wedding.
Carina Eunice de Silva Salvador, 20, and Mohamed Kessar, 34, both of Moore Road, Ipswich, were arrested before taking their vows yesterday on suspicion of breaking immigration law.
Miss Salvador was charged with attempting to procure a marriage which facilitated a breach of immigration law and both were charged with making false statements to procure a marriage. Neither of the accused entered a plea.
A Portuguese translator spoke for Miss Salvador and as neither of the accused applied for bail both were held in custody until their crown court hearing in Ipswich on June 17.
You may also want to watch:
The case was brought on the day a senior registrar claimed that as many as one in five wedding ceremonies in London could be bogus.
Mark Rimmer, service director for registrations of births, deaths and marriages at Brent Council, London, said he feared that tighter controls on immigration were persuading more immigrants to take part in sham marriages in an attempt to stay in the UK.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 5 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
- 6 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 7 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
- 8 Suspect in Victoria Hall murder case still being questioned by police
- 9 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 10 Go-ahead secured for new hotel near Ipswich Town ground