Bride and groom in custody
A BRIDE and groom are in custody today after police arrested them at their wedding.Carina Eunice de Silva Salvador, 20, and Mohamed Kessar, 34, both of Moore Road, Ipswich, were arrested before taking their vows yesterday on suspicion of breaking immigration law.
A BRIDE and groom are in custody today after police arrested them at their wedding.
Carina Eunice de Silva Salvador, 20, and Mohamed Kessar, 34, both of Moore Road, Ipswich, were arrested before taking their vows yesterday on suspicion of breaking immigration law.
Miss Salvador was charged with attempting to procure a marriage which facilitated a breach of immigration law and both were charged with making false statements to procure a marriage. Neither of the accused entered a plea.
A Portuguese translator spoke for Miss Salvador and as neither of the accused applied for bail both were held in custody until their crown court hearing in Ipswich on June 17.
You may also want to watch:
The case was brought on the day a senior registrar claimed that as many as one in five wedding ceremonies in London could be bogus.
Mark Rimmer, service director for registrations of births, deaths and marriages at Brent Council, London, said he feared that tighter controls on immigration were persuading more immigrants to take part in sham marriages in an attempt to stay in the UK.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 3 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 6 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 7 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 8 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 9 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
- 10 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed