Burwell: Tributes to ‘inspirational’ young rider killed in A11 smash
FRIENDS of a 21-year-old motorcyclist killed in a crash on the A11 have gathered to pay tribute to the ‘inspirational’ figure.
Richard Leadon, 21, from Burwell near Newmarket, died when his Yamaha motorcycle collided with the central reservation of the A11 on Tuesday evening.
Hundreds of Mr Leadon’s friends, family and loved ones were expected to gather at a meet in his memory last night, organised through the West Suffolk Cruisers club.
A Facebook page set up in memory of the popular young rider was flooded with messages from friends and fellow members of the performance motor enthusiasts’ club, who arranged the vigil in his name.
Damen Haskett, a friend of Mr Leadon’s, wrote on the page for the event: “No matter how long we knew him, where we saw him or who we were to him, Richie was an inspiration to us all.
“His kind heart and caring nature saw him helping many.
“His bouncy funny character who just wanted to be the centre of the party making everyone smile around him.
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 5 'Fantastic opportunity' as Ipswich's Thomas Wolsey pub listed for sale
- 6 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 7 Search ongoing for 29-year-old Suffolk man missing for three weeks
- 8 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 9 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 10 5 award-winning restaurants in and around Ipswich you need to visit
“He has left us now with only memories but every one of those is a happy one and every memory as individual as the next one and unique to every person who knew him.
“Seen by many, touched by many, appreciated by many and loved by many and no matter who we were to him, we remember him the same way tonight.
“We will remember him in our own individual way and tonight for one night only he will be in the centre of the party, loved and remembered by everyone there.”
Mr Leadon died following a collision on the A11 at Barton Mills on Tuesday.
Police were called just after 8.15pm to reports a man riding a Yamaha motorcycle northbound towards Thetford had collided with the central reservation of the road and come off his bike.
Despite the efforts of paramedics and police, Mr Leadon died at the scene of the crash.
Donations of �2 were set to be taken from people attending the event in Feltwell yesterday night, to pay for flowers at the Mr Leadon’s funeral.
Mr Leadon’s girlfriend, Rebeca Winchester, also planned to lay some flowers near the scene of the crash in Barton Mills in memory of her ‘gorgeous angel’.
Police are continuing to ask anyone who saw the incident to call Sgt John Hawkes at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Police Headquarters on 01473 613500.