Bus driver in mobile storm resigns

A BUS driver accused of careless driving after being filmed apparently talking on a mobile phone while at the wheel has quit her job, it emerged today.

A BUS driver accused of careless driving after being filmed apparently talking on a mobile phone while at the wheel has quit her job, it emerged today.

The driver had been facing disciplinary action after video footage was captured of a journey in Ipswich last Friday afternoon.

A spokesman for First Eastern Counties today said the employee resigned before the process could be completed.

Meanwhile it has emerged a further complaint has been made against a First Eastern Counties employee, also for using a mobile phone at the wheel.

Roger Haywood, spokesman for the company, said all customer complaints are taken seriously.

He said: “We have a very well-established policy which is completely clear about drivers not using phones at any time while they are driving.

Most Read

“It is an unacceptable way to behave.

“Anyone with concerns about the behaviour of drivers should contact our customer service number.

“Every call is logged and every caller gets a response.”

Despite resigning, the bus driver who was videoed at the wheel by a 15-year-old schoolboy last Friday still faces legal action following a police investigation.

Suffolk police say the woman will appear before magistrates in the near future after being reported for careless driving.

First customers with concerns about drivers are being asked to contact the company's customer services line on 08456 020 121.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter