Aldi announces opening date for new Ipswich store
- Credit: Paul Geater/Archant
The opening date for a new Aldi store in Ipswich has been announced, with a big sign going up outside the building.
Shoppers will be able to visit the store in Europa Way, off Sproughton Road, for the first time on April 15.
The store is one of three new Aldi branches scheduled to open in Suffolk this year, with others due to open in Newmarket in May and Stowmarket in June.
The new Aldi is under two miles from the existing branch in Meredith Road. That store was put on the market last year, because Aldi originally planned to close it when opening its larger new store.
However, at the end of 2020 it was confirmed that the supermarket site had been taken off the market because Aldi wanted to see what demand was like if it retained both sites.
The long-term future of the Meredith Road store is still under review, but it will stay open at present.
By 2025 the discount supermarket aims to have 1,200 stores in the UK - where it currently has more than 900.
You may also want to watch:
Aldi has been contacted for comment.
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 6 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 7 Do you remember having a pint at Ipswich's Sporting Farmer pub?
- 8 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 10 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week