Numbers team with staying power notches up 340 years
- Credit: Archant
Employees at an Ipswich-based chartered accountancy firm have notched up a remarkable 340 years of service between them.
Beatons Group – which employs a workforce of 19 – said it prided itself on being “a fantastic place to work”.
Six workers have spent more than 30 years each working for the company.
Managing director Roger Beaton – who set up the company in 1981 – is the longest serving, with 39 years, director Nick Marshall and taxation director John Oakley have each served 36 years, while director Stephanie Hammond, client manager Sarah Beeton and financial controller, payroll and IT manager Don Mallett have each been at Beatons for 30 years.
MORE – ‘Trip of a lifetime’ trip launched aboard cruise line’s newest vesselMs Hammond originally planned to head to university to study law after a gap year. However, a career change meant she joined Beatons and began her accountancy training in March 1990.
“Our latest trainee and the previous two school leavers did not attend university and instead are gaining and have gained their accountancy qualifications while working,” she said.
Mr Marshall, who joined the firm as a teenager, said that the company places an importance on employees enjoying a good work/life balance. “We pride ourselves on a high standard of professional work, but we do not think it should be the norm for our staff to regularly work late hours,” he said.
“We always do our utmost to accommodate requests for time off work due to personal matters.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
“We believe our personal approach to work, and in a friendly and relaxed environment, is why our employees devote so many years to the company.
“It’s a fantastic place to work and we hope the long service continues for many years to come.”