Is this empty shop ‘the biggest eyesore in Ipswich town centre’?
- Credit: Archant
The boarded-up former Poundworld store in Tavern Street has been described by the Ipswich Society as “possibly the biggest eyesore in Ipswich town centre today.”
The town's civic society said on its Facebook page: "Could the owners do something to make the building more attractive whilst it awaits new tenants?
"Looking like this, will it ever find new tenants? It lets down the whole of Tavern Street and the town centre."
The shop closed its doors a year ago, in July 2018, after the discount store chain went into administration.
Before Poundworld moved in, at one time River Island and Specsavers were both based in the prominent building. It is also close to the also empty former BHS store.
You may also want to watch:
Reuben Higgins said on the Ipswich Society's Facebook page: "Needs demolishing and replacing with something more sympathetic to its surroundings."
But Erica Burrows said: "The building itself is not too bad - just been neglected and, if tidied up and given a lick of paint, would look good. The windows are attractive, as is the dome on top.
- 1 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 2 Plans for new Waterfront restaurant and bar receive over 50 objections
- 3 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 4 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 5 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 6 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 7 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 8 First look at plans for new Ipswich BMX track ahead of big build
- 9 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
"It's an eyesore because its boarded up. Another out-of-town retail park has been proposed - no wonder the town centre can't retain shops."
Shane Daly commented: "I am really not sure what would even go in there. It's a massive building. Three floors, top one being a warehouse, I am at odds to what would go there."
Not everyone thought the shop was the worst in town, however. Carl Pennock said on the Ipswich Star's Facebook page: "It's only slightly worse than the decaying old BHS building."
And Alan Paul commented: "The old Co-op store is a mess."
Looking at the general problems with shops closing in the town, John Alexander said: "So what is wrong with Ipswich town centre? Yes, out-of-town stores offer everything people want and the parking is free.
"But how come places like Norwich and Bury St Edmunds are doing so well? They are doing it right, so why can't the council see how they do it and put their ideas into place in the town centre."
And Karren Joslin-White said: "Maybe make the car parks cheaper and more people would shop and there would be less empty shops."
Tamisha Gordon suggested a new use for the store, saying: "It would be an ideal spot for a Disney shop. Either that or a nice attractive pub/restaurant."
The lease of the building is currently being marketed by KLM Retail, who have been approached for comment.