Is this empty shop ‘the biggest eyesore in Ipswich town centre’?
- Credit: Archant
The boarded-up former Poundworld store in Tavern Street has been described by the Ipswich Society as “possibly the biggest eyesore in Ipswich town centre today.”
The town's civic society said on its Facebook page: "Could the owners do something to make the building more attractive whilst it awaits new tenants?
"Looking like this, will it ever find new tenants? It lets down the whole of Tavern Street and the town centre."
The shop closed its doors a year ago, in July 2018, after the discount store chain went into administration.
Before Poundworld moved in, at one time River Island and Specsavers were both based in the prominent building. It is also close to the also empty former BHS store.
Reuben Higgins said on the Ipswich Society's Facebook page: "Needs demolishing and replacing with something more sympathetic to its surroundings."
But Erica Burrows said: "The building itself is not too bad - just been neglected and, if tidied up and given a lick of paint, would look good. The windows are attractive, as is the dome on top.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
"It's an eyesore because its boarded up. Another out-of-town retail park has been proposed - no wonder the town centre can't retain shops."
Shane Daly commented: "I am really not sure what would even go in there. It's a massive building. Three floors, top one being a warehouse, I am at odds to what would go there."
Not everyone thought the shop was the worst in town, however. Carl Pennock said on the Ipswich Star's Facebook page: "It's only slightly worse than the decaying old BHS building."
And Alan Paul commented: "The old Co-op store is a mess."
Looking at the general problems with shops closing in the town, John Alexander said: "So what is wrong with Ipswich town centre? Yes, out-of-town stores offer everything people want and the parking is free.
"But how come places like Norwich and Bury St Edmunds are doing so well? They are doing it right, so why can't the council see how they do it and put their ideas into place in the town centre."
And Karren Joslin-White said: "Maybe make the car parks cheaper and more people would shop and there would be less empty shops."
Tamisha Gordon suggested a new use for the store, saying: "It would be an ideal spot for a Disney shop. Either that or a nice attractive pub/restaurant."
The lease of the building is currently being marketed by KLM Retail, who have been approached for comment.