This looks like heaven - new cake shop stocks 12 types of chocolate brownie
- Credit: Archant
A husband and wife team have opened a patisserie in Ipswich town centre after years of working as mobile caterers.
Stuart Calder and Maria Cebrian have opened Bonbon, a chocolatier and patisserie, on Buttermarket this weekend.
Previously as mobile caterers the couple sold their wares via pop up stalls and at festivals, but that market was brought to an end by coronavirus.
Mr Calder said: “We went all over the UK. In pop up areas of shopping centres around the UK and at food and drink festivals as well as music festivals like proms in the park.
“But all of that disappeared with coronavirus so we realised pretty quickly we wouldn’t be able to get back in shopping centres and there’s not going to be any festivals, so we opted for looking at shops.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had to put all of our own money in because we weren’t eligible for any of the grants because we were mobile before coronavirus and had a shop after coronavirus.”
Everything in the store is made on site, from the 12 varieties of brownies and 30 varieties of cupcakes which are baked in the morning, to the handmade chocolates and cream cheese-filled cannolis.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 6 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 7 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 8 Do you remember having a pint at Ipswich's Sporting Farmer pub?
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
“We’re more of a patisserie than a bakery,” said Mr Calder.
“When most people in England think of a bakery they think of bread whereas we specialise in high end cakes.
“My wife is the baker – I don’t do that bit – I do the talking and the decorating of the cakes.”
The store will also serve ice cream.
The opening of the store has been delayed by the need to make it Covid-19 compliant.
“The perspex for the screens has been really hard to get hold of. We’ve been through one supplier who couldn’t get hold of it for us, and now we have to make our own brackets and stuff.
“We had to build it all ourselves and do all the shop fitting because all the tradesmen are booked solid.
“We’ve been busy.”