Businessman suspected of drink-driving loses his licence after driving around east Suffolk

Crash drink-driver banned

Crash drink-driver banned - Credit: PA

A suspected drink-driving businessman stopped by police while travelling from Aldeburgh to Cambridge has lost his licence.

Rolfe Kentish, of Barnabas Road, Cambridge, pleaded guilty at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court to failing to provide a breath specimen on January 9.

The court heard the 61-year-old had provided one of the two breath tests which had to be undertaken for a sample. This showed he was more than twice the drink-drive limit. However, Kentish was unable to provide a second sample before the machine timed out

Prosecutor Ian Allen said police received information shortly after 10.30pm concerning the manner in which a VW Golf was being driven near Little Glemham.

While looking for the vehicle they found it in High Street, Wickham Market after it failed to dip its headlights when passing the police car in the opposite direction.

The VW turned towards Framlingham. It was travelling at around 10 to 20mph and kept braking.

A police officer put the blue lights on their vehicle and indicated for the VW to stop, but it failed to do so.

Most Read

The sirens were put on the police car but Kentish carried on driving for around two miles before pulling over in Hacheston, the court heard.

Kentish smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be drunk.

He said he had consumed two pints of lager and some wine.

Kentish also told an officer he was driving to Cambridge from Suffolk.

Mr Allen said the breath test Kentish was able to take showed he had 86 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

Sue Threadkell, representing Kentish, said: “He shows genuine remorse through me to the court today.

“He is a professional gentleman who has now caused himself great hardship.”

The court was told Kentish was in business in the public sector and travels long distances for his work.

Kentish had been to Aldeburgh for lunch on the day of his offence.

District Judge Sally Fudge disqualified him from driving for 18 months and fined him £500.

He must also pay £85 costs and £50 to the victims’ fund.